Trending: Ikat Print

February 6, 2013



Ikat (n): A dyeing technique that creates unique prints. The word ikat derives from the Indonesian word mengikat 'to tie'.


I have been in multiple showrooms in the D&D Building in Manhattan where I have seen amazing ikat prints recently (Above picture: Kravet/Brunswig & Fils). The more I see ikat print the more I fall in love with it. So, I wanted to write a post about this print since it has been around but becoming more and more popular. 





Ikat fabric can be used in many different ways:

A roman shade in a kitchen.


A fabulous accent pillow.


An entry way table cover.


A one of a kind upholstered couch.


As the splash of color in an elegant dining room.


As a unique print on a rug.

You can even wear the trendy style yourself.


You can also buy ikat dishware.





Ikat can be used in a variety of ways to make a certain piece of furniture or product stand out, that's what is so great about it! This look can also be very transitional. Keep in mind that you don't have to use bold colors when picking this print. Ikat also can be quite suttle such as a taupe ikat chevron print. I personally love chevron (most people think of zig zags when using the term chevron). I hope that this post opened up your mind to a (somewhat) new type of print that you will be inspired to use somewhere in your home. I know that etsy.com has many different ikat pillows, curtains, etc. If you're looking for inexpensive, I would check Etsy out! Till next time :)

Xo,






Picture credits go to: Kravet, Brunswig &Fils, Stark, Zunga Interiors, Housebeautiful, Melissa Jennings, Thefind, Chiccoles







1 comment

  1. Cool! I've never heard the term before but I love this look too! I like the more subtle designs I think. It's kind of like a high class tie dye look! Now I have to prowl around my house to try and find a space I can put this style to work in! Lol :-)

    ReplyDelete